We can't wait to make these for our toughpuppers!!
How many times have you taken your dog to the dog park only to realize when it's time to leave that they are a muddy mess? Well that doesn't have to happen ever again!! The K9 Shower is here to rescue your upholstery!! This "pawesome" invention allows you to fill it with warm water before heading out to the park. The water stays warm so when it comes time to use it, Fido won't put up such a fuss. Attach to any car window and let gravity do the rest!! The stream is strong enough to wash your dogs underside, paws, and anywhere else that needs de-mudding! Towel Dry and then you're ready to go with a clean pup in tow!!
You can also set this up outside of the back door to keep the mud outside where it belongs. If you're interested in adding The K9 Shower to your pup's routine, click here.
While Memorial Day is fast approaching, surely you're preparing menus, who to invite, how much seating you'll need, and a million other things before your cookout guests arrive. Many folks forget to plan for the four-legged attendees. These tips will help guarantee that Fido stays safe and everyone has fun this Memorial Day!
1 - Be sure your dog is wearing his/her collar and ID tags. You cannot guarantee that your guests are going to follow the same precautions that you do for your pups. So, just in case, make sure they are able to be identified if they somehow get loose.
2 - Be sure that you keep things like charcoal, lighter fluid and matches out of the reach of your pups (and some of your guests surely, LOL)
3 - Even if your dog is used to being off leash on your property, you may want to consider leashing them. Tables of food that may not be safe for your dog as well as hot grills are temptations for your dog. Your dog isn't going to realize they can be burned by checking out the grill until it's too late. Who can resist a grilled hamburger?!
4 - Be mindful of citronella candles and other insect repellents that may harm your pet. Hot citronella wax is a sure way to ruin your festivities!! Only use pet-safe repellents on your dogs - human products are NOT ok for dogs.
5 - Never ever leave alcoholic beverages within reach of pets. (if the pets can reach them so can any children in attendance)
6 - Address your guests in advance about not giving Fido people food. You cannot guarantee the amount of food or that it is necessarily safe if your guests are allowed to free feed people scraps to your pup. We suggest having treats readily available for your guests to treat Fido with.
7 - Be mindful of children rough housing near your pets. This one is self explanatory.
8 - You can clearly see when your dog has had enough. If they appear to be overwhelmed they probably are. You should put them inside in a bedroom or other area where they can relax, be calm, and not be affected by the fast paced often times loud festivities taking place.
9 - We suggest a garbage with a nice tight lid. Things like used bamboo skewers are tasty meat sticks to your pets - these as well as bones will almost guarantee an emergency trip to the vet and can result in serious harm and death to Fido.
Remember - common sense is gonna go a long way when it comes to cookouts and your pets. Stay safe and enjoy your Memorial Day!!
A dog walker who reported six of her clients dogs stolen from her pick up truck at a local dog park in Vancouver, will face cruelty and public mischief charges. It was discovered that the dogs actually succumbed to heat stroke while left in her vehicle, and she simply dumped them in a ditch. Petsearchers Canada, a dog tracking agency in Vancouver made the discovery while investigating their "abduction". The dog walker also lost one of her own dogs in the vehicle.
Under Canadian Law, the woman faces Animal Cruelty charges following an investigation by the SPCA. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police are investigating and will likely lodge public mischief charges against her for the false police report.
The temperature that day was around 70 degrees, the temperature inside the woman's vehicle likely climbed into the high 90s+. Local community members that banded together to post missing/stolen posters and that spent hours searching for the dogs feel duped. "So many people, upon the initial report coming out, invested time and effort into helping look for the dogs and coming to the rally. We had people drive from Chilliwack to Vancouver to to pick up posters to put in their neighborhood, believing that the dogs had been stolen," said Al McLelland, owner of Petsearchers Canada.
Guess what you won't see when you tune in for the Opening Ceremonies of the Sochi Olympic Games? The thousands of stray dogs that are unfortunate to call Sochi home. The Government has approved a plan to basically harvest and kill all strays before and during the Olympic Games. Most of these dogs have been being fed by the construction workers that have been building the various facilities that will be used during these Olympic Games. Alexei Sorokin, director general of pest control firm Basya Services, said his company is involved in what he described as the “catching and disposing” of dogs. Sorokin refused to specify whether they shoot or poison dogs or say where they take the carcasses.
Guess who won't be tuning in to the Olympics this year?
In the interest of safety and all that good stuff we are calling a Snow Day on Feb, 5, 2014. All forecast show that we should be getting a significant amount of snow during the overnight/morning and we are just to be safe closing the HQ for all services if there at any questions just give us a call 888.959.8676 before 6pm on the 4th!
Stay warm and cozy!!
Reminder on weather closure procedure: we follow the same guidelines as the local school districts. Two hour delays place our opening at 9:30am, and closures mean reception is closed until the following day at regularly scheduled open time. You will be notified by email, Facebook, and we will also be on the closure lists running on local media outlets. Customers who still are not sure can call the store number and choose option #5 - Announcements - for weather related delays and closures.
We have no plans at this time to close for any upcoming predicted storms. We will cross that bridge when we get to it. All of our puppy parents should be prepared to consult the above sources in the event of inclement weather. Thanks !!
Halloween is NOT a good night to take your dogs along trick or treating. Follow these quick tips to keep Fido out of harm's way tonight.
1. Leave your dog at home!! Imagine what your dog must be thinking as they walk past all the people in masks, wearing wings, helmets, and all sorts of extras! Your dog will be more likely to react to these things, become scared and try to flee, or worse, bite out of fear.
2. Your dog doesn't need to answer the door for trick or treaters! Keep your pups safely away from the frequent door opening and closings to pass out candy. The last thing you need is for your pup to scoot out of the door!
3. Protect your dogs from candy. Chocolate is highly toxic to dogs and all of your little ghosts, ghouls, and goblins are bringing home bags and buckets of poison for your dog. Keep it in a safe place, and monitor small children that may not know well enough to not share with Fido!!
4. Remove masks, hoods, wigs, etc, when around your dog. This one is pretty self explanatory. If your dog doesn't recognize you, its likely you're not going to get the type of behavior you normally would and they may react accordingly.
Follow these safety tips and your pups will be just fine! Happy Howl-ween!
Tough Pups Guide To Buying Safe, Healthy Pet Food and Treats
1. READ THE ENTIRE LABEL! By law, manufacturers must list ingredients starting with what there is the most of on down to what there is the least of. If you have any questions, or arent sure what some of the ingredients are, then DO NOT BUY THEM! There are just too many options on the market where you can identify what the ingredients are without a dictionary.
2. VERIFY WHERE THEY WERE MADE! Foreign countries have different guidelines for manufacturing and are not held to the same standards as US Manufacturers are. If you cannot verify that they were MADE IN THE USA, DO NOT BUY THEM. **And beware! Companies have started to stamp packages as "Distributed in the USA" - don't fall for that!! These treats are manufactured in foreign countries and then simply shipped here to be packaged or distributed.
3. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! Now is not the time to be cheap! We suggest that you avoid many of the options that you find in the grocery store - items like Pup-Peroni and the like are very unhealthy for your pet and contain many food dyes, fillers, etc that can be harmful to your pet.
4. LOOK FOR ITEMS WITH LIMITED INGREDIENTS! When you think about it, why should there be 60 ingredients in a dog treat? Companies like Pure Bites (which is a single ingredient treat), Wagatha's(an organic Vermont biscuit maker with limited high quality ingredients) are very healthy options that your pets will love!!
5. GO VEGGIE! Dogs often love baby carrots, blueberries, and a variety of other fruits and vegetables. Be mindful not to over-treat these, as you could deal with diarrhea because of the water content in some veggies, and also - do your research - there are many fruits and veggies that are harmful to your pups, so research, make a list, and THEN go to the grocer!! Your pups will Thank You!!
We will be posting a bunch of treat options for folks who don't have the time to make their own, and some recipes for folks who prefer to bake at home!!!
When it comes to Flea control, we are huge fans of the "set it and forget" philosophy when it comes to the dreaded 'fleas" and it does not come any closer then this. For almost 8 months your pet is protected from the "creepy crawlers" all you have to do is remember to order a new one. Trust me folks your pup will love this!
We've Made Some Changes
Everything with you in mind of course! Over the next coming weeks, we will be rolling out new features to the Digital HQ. As of now, you are now able to log in and book playcares, boarding dates and even add services to be carried out during your pets stay at Toughpups (if you dont remember your password, just click the "forgot" button on the log in screen). You can shop at our online boutique (powered by amazon) but for now take a moment to explore!
Check Back here for current events and other fun stuff!!
And what a strange trip it's been!